Elizabeth Catlett Mora was born in 1919 in Washington, D.C. She currently lives in Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico.
In 1936, she graduated from Howard University in Washington with a BA in Art. In 1940 she obtained a Master’s Degree in Art from the University of Iowa. She also studied ceramic in the Art Institute of Chicago, lithography at the Art Students League in New York as well as sculpture under Ossip Zadkine and Grant Wood, also in New York.
She taught sculpture at Praire View College in Texas, at Williard University, in New Orleans, La. and at Hampton Institute in Virginia.
In 1939, in Iowa, she held her first individual Exhibit. She participated in the “American Negro Exbition” in Chicago.
Between 1945-1947 she was awarded a fellowishp from the Julius Rosewald Foundation. She taught with Charles White, in Louisiana, Virginia and Georgia.
In 1946 traveled to Mexico and joined the Taller de Grafica Popular and married Francisco Mora. She became Director of Fine Arts at the Escuela Nacional de Artes Plasticas.
In 1962 she traveled to Cuba.
She became the TGP’S General S ecretary in 1963. She resigned from the TGP in 1965.
She has received a great number of awards, honors, and homages in Mexico as well as in the United States.